The LiveWell with Chronic Conditions and LiveWell with Chronic Pain are FREE community based programs offered by the RQHR Health Promotion Department. These workshops cover content that is common among people with different health challenges and is beneficial for anyone with one or more chronic conditions or pain, as well as caregivers or support people.
Examples of topics reviewed in this program include:
- – Problem solving, goal setting, action plans;
- – Exercise (strength, flexibility, endurance);
- – Dealing with the negative emotions of chronic illness (ex. depression, anxiety);
- – Healthy eating and weight management;
- – Fatigue and symptom management (dealing with issues such as: frustration, isolation, poor sleep);
- – Self-management and relaxation techniques;
- – Use of medications
- – Effective communication strategies with loved ones and health professionals
All participants receive a free copy of the Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions or the Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain reference manual. If they attend a Chronic Pain workshop, they also receive the Moving Easy Program CD.Workshops are run over six weeks, where a group 10-16 people meets once a week for 2 1⁄2 hours and covers a range of tools and strategies to enhance self-efficacy such as weekly action planning, modeling of behaviors and problem solving by participants. Two trained peer leaders co-lead the workshop and usually have a chronic condition(s) themselves so can lead from experience. Workshops are fun and interactive and build the participants confidence in managing their chronic health condition and/or chronic pain. The LiveWell workshop was developed by Stanford University and is used in over 20 countries. It has been proven to help improve the health of people with chronic conditions.
Health Promotion has developed a referral form for our LiveWell programs and our Forever…in motion program which is available on the RQHR webpage at www.rqhealth.ca/livewell, along with more information and a list of upcoming workshops. Referrals can be made by self, family member, or health care professionals. Participants must be willing and able to participant in a group environment and set goals.
- Both Livewell with Chronic Conditions and Livewell with Chronic Pain workshops are offered in our region on a regular basis. To register, please call 306-766-7370 or fax referral to 306-766-7489. See the attached flyer below for more information: